At the start of each month I do a review in my journal of my goals, habits, and experiments from the past month. In January 2015 I started publishing my monthly reviews on my blog instead of keeping them private. I hope you'll find them useful and/or entertaining.
WHAT DID I COMPLETE THAT I AM PROUD OF IN FEBRUARY?
- First month of my acting course
- Started a Slack team for Exist Club (an experimental group of Exist users who support and motivate each other to develop good habits)
WHAT GOALS DID I ATTEMPT IN FEBRUARY?
- Send out beta build of Exist for iOS with Dashboard included: nope. I haven't found any time for coding in the past 2-3 weeks since the homework for my acting class really ramped up.
- Write 4 Exist blog posts (1 per week): yep! 2 posts for the Exist blog and 2 guest posts done.
- Add offline caching to my Pinboard reading app: nope. Again, no time for coding.
WHAT 1 HABIT DID I FOCUS ON FOR FEBRUARY? (HOW DID THAT GO?)
Maintaining my new routine: breakfast and reading, French, and piano before work. Also stopping work at 5:30pm to go for a run. I did alright earlier in the month, but not so good for the past couple of weeks. I've started focusing on doing a vocal warm-up to improve my diction and breathing capacity every morning. It's part of my routine, but it's the most important part for now.
WHAT EXPERIMENTS DID I TRY?
Using littlelogs to log completed work: Josh built a web app to fill the need I mentioned in my last review—I wanted to share public logs during the day of everything I got done. littlelogs lets you do this with tags so you can see what other people are doing in the same industry or with the same technology as you. You can read about the origin of littlelogs or sign up for a beta invite.
Trying Trello again for collecting content ideas: I've done this previously, but it always ended up full of stale ideas or good ones I'd never get around to. Having no list of ideas to consult has made idea generation really difficult, so I'm trying the Trello route again.
WHAT BOOKS DID I READ?
- Pyramids, Terry Pratchett
- An Actor Prepares, Constantin Stanislavsky
HOW MUCH MONEY DID I SPEND?
Biggest chunks: $1293 for rent, and $317 on shopping (mostly clothes).
Goals for March
I WANT TO COMPLETE:
- Release iOS mood app for Exist to App Store
- Plan out first section of my writing course
I WANT TO FOCUS ON THIS 1 HABIT:
- Vocal warm-ups: aim to do this every single morning when I wake up.
Image credit: Jay Mantri