At the start of each month I do a review in my journal of my goals, habits, and experiments from the past month. In January 2015 I started publishing my monthly reviews on my blog instead of keeping them private. You can see them all in my monthly reviews category.
WHAT DID I COMPLETE THAT I AM PROUD OF IN MARCH?
- First term of my acting course, including performing a scene from Good Will Hunting and putting together a devised performance based on the life and death of Kurt Vonnegut (devised performance is crazy hard).
- Did an interview for the Biz Chix podcast.
- Got back into a routine of waking up early to write.
- Finished some overdue updates to my website.
- Made some good progress on my iOS app for Exist.
WHAT GOALS DID I ATTEMPT IN MARCH?
- Release iOS mood app for Exist to App Store: Nope. I underestimated how much work I needed to do on the app to get it ready. I'm making progress but it still needs testing and polishing before it's ready for the store.
- Plan out first section of my writing course: Yes! I actually planned all four sections and drafted all the chapters within the first section.
WHAT 1 HABIT DID I FOCUS ON FOR MARCH? (HOW DID THAT GO?)
Vocal warm ups: I wanted to do these every morning to improve my breath capacity and diction. I got into a good routine of getting up early, putting the kettle on, and doing my warm up while the kettle boiled.
I tracked my vocal warm ups from March 8th, and since then I've done it every single day.
WHAT EXPERIMENTS DID I TRY?
- Getting up early to work on my writing course: writing is a good way to make sure I actually get up early. When I don't have a plan for what comes after getting up early, it's a lot harder to get out of bed.
WHAT BOOKS DID I READ?
- Storm, Boris Starling
- The Martian, Andy Weir
HOW MUCH MONEY DID I SPEND?
Biggest chunks: $1293 for rent, $197 on eating out, $168 on groceries.
Goals for April
I WANT TO COMPLETE:
- Draft all the chapters in another section of my writing course.
- Send out a new beta version of my iOS app for testing.
- Finish learning to recite the Tarantella poem by Edith Sitwell while I'm on holidays from acting class. (We're having a challenge to see who can learn it during our month off.)
I WANT TO FOCUS ON THIS 1 HABIT:
- Planning for tomorrow: every night I want to take a minute to plan what I'll work on the next day and check what appointments I have so I'm better prepared for each day.
Image credit: Cole Patrick